Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Spamming - It's Not Helping You Find Deals

This is just a public service note to all the non-federally-regulated lenders out there. Stop spamming. Just stop, easy as that. Some of you may actually be breaking laws, and that's not good.

I've been in the email marketing industry since 1991 and in email since 1982 and I've never in my life seen so many lenders spamming every email address they can possibly grab from good and bad list vendors. It's so bad that i'm starting to see domain names (yes, many of you lenders) showing up on blacklists and "DOA" block lists (DOA = delete on arrival).

Here is a good example of crazy spamming that is taking place. I've seen emails being sent to employees that have not been with us since 1997. That's a sign that whoever you are buying lists from is selling you total crap lists, they are just harvesting addresses blindly to build you up an expensive list.

The fix? It is to do some honest footwork and create funnels from websites that accept subscribers for loan-related subject matter. If someone is looking for an onion ring recipe - it doesn't belong on your list. If someone is looking at women's shoes - it doesn't belong on your list. I know firsthand that it is very difficult to build up good quality prospecting lists but for the love of all things holy please try to at least do it right. The reputation monitoring systems that we ESP's use to allow or deny mail has a significant percentage of you guys listed as a "bad sender" - and that means most of your mail is just being routed directly to trash or even worse - deleted before being delivered. Hopping from one ESP to another ESP (because the ESP's are closing your accounts) is not going to fix the problem. It's the lists themselves that need to be rebuilt from scratch with good high quality lists. It's hard, i know, but sending spam to hundreds of thousands of addresses where 50% of them bounce - is just bad news.

I wish my company could help you but we only deal with high quality financial publishers and list owners who have confirmed opt-in lists (double opt-in, where the subscriber confirms there wish to be a subscriber.) We could make you guys a boatload of more deals just by delivering better. Unfortunately due to the quality of the lists we are seeing you using - it's a non-starter for us.

Who has good lists? Hard to say in the loan-seeker space. it's going to take some careful asking around to companies that have good analytics on the searchers that are coming into their feeds. I'd personally be buying ads on all of the sites that have on-topic discussions of business loans, lending, and even credit repair services. It's expensive, yes, but the quality of leads is likely 5x better than blindly spamming the business world. I'm not advertising my site but even https://www.afundingplace.com gets leads all day long from real people looking for real business loans. I'm not even promoting the site and we get 20-30 requests per DAY. I started it as a "Saturday iidea" that turned into something real.

Something also very important to note: CAN SPAM laws, CASL, and GDPR. If you break those laws you could find yourself in a very large storm of legal issues, including massive fines up to $1million etc. It's only a matter of time until one of you run face-first into this issue.

Please take this message not as a critique of your business, but more of a heads-up on what us ESP's see. It's not pretty. Do better.

John Brogan
    Global IntelliSystems
    Email Marketing/Analytics Services
    Hands-on Email Since 1983

https://www.GLIQ.com
    jbrogan@GLIQ.com

John everything you said is completely factual, but the two issues are:

1) Doing it wrong still brings an ROI to the lender, at least for a time.

2) Doing it the right way, when you've never done it that way before, feels like infinitely more work (and more time without seeing results) than just spraying away, and getting immediate gratification.

The advantage to doing it right, is you end up with a list that is truly yours, responsive, and can be leveraged repeatedly. Doing this over time leads to far greater profits, you can actually send less emails, get much less bounces, and get a higher ROI.

But doing it the right way can take weeks if not months.

There is a tool that operates in reverse that's worked well for Iso's/funders.

It generates Email addresses of merchants that are currently seeking funding or waiting to see a funding offer (meaning they've applied already). At least that way you're contacting merchants you know have an interest in your service.

www.UccRadar.com - 100 Man Call Center Automation, without the Bodies.

Comment

Working...
    X