Over Half of Small Businesses Had Unmet Funding Needs

| By:


The Federal Reserve’s analysis of overall funding efforts for all small businesses demonstrates a market of unmet financial needs. In 2020, a total of 47% of firms met their funding needs, while the other half (53%) still needed capital.

23% of firms saw a “financing shortfall.” They were partially approved but still needed more funds. The other 30% have unmet funding needs because they never applied according to the survey- they’re scared of debt, risk-averse, or don’t meet requirements.

Those that did not apply for funds would have if they were not discouraged by weak sales (44%), insufficient collateral (41%), low credit (33%), and too much debt already (36%).

83% of companies used a bank or small bank as their primary financial service provider, while only 11% said an online lender or fintech was their primary.

Meanwhile, in the funding world, MCAs were only sought by 8% of all funding applicants last year, compared to 89% of firms applying for a loan or line of credit.

Most firms that went for an MCA went with a bank. 85% percent of firms that applied for a loan, credit, or cash advance used a large or small bank. In contrast, only 20% of firms applied to an online lender, falling from 33% since last year.

42% of firms that worked with online lenders or fintech companies were dissatisfied with support during the pandemic. Comparatively, firms that did receive some funding from an online lender were far happier: only 18% were dissatisfied.

Last modified: February 8, 2021
Kevin Travers

Kevin Travers was a Reporter at deBanked.




Category: Business Lending

Home Business Lending › Over Half of Small Businesses Had Unmet Funding Needs


    Avanza Capital

    South End Capital

    Vox Funding

    Amerifi Capital

    Balboa Capital

    Better Accounting Solutions

    Infusion Capital Group

    Hunter Caroline

    Arsenal

    Idea Financial

    One Percent Ventures

    Legacy Capital Group

    Central Diligence Group

    Lendini

    Unique Funding Solutions

    Lendora

    Key Capital Group

    Spartan Capital

    United Fund USA

    Yardline

    United Business Funding

    ROK Financial

    Meged Funding Group

    Meridian Leads

    Global Funding Experts

    Legend Funding

    Splash Advance