Clicky

• Welcome to P2P Lending / NFT Lending Forum.

ETH.LOAN

News:

This was the original Lend Academy peer-to-peer lending forum, since forensically restored by deBanked and now reintroduced to eth.loan.

To restore access to your user account, email [email protected]. We apologize for errors you may experience during the recovery.

Main Menu
NEW LOANS:   | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL

Lending Club Exists for the Profits of Whom?

Started by Peter, December 06, 2017, 11:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob L

I've been an unrepentant LC pessimist over the past two years, should anyone be unaware (few are I'm sure).
Each quarter shareholder equity is diluted by non-GAAP compensations to management (big time). Hey, it's not cash so why worry?
When all that money the exuberant IPO buyers gave the company has been distributed to management what will be LC's fate? My guess is that it isn't pretty.
I will leave it up to the optimists to counter. Strong language, but is thinking LC is a dead man walking ...  If not dead zombie like.

http://www.insider-monitor.com/trading/cik1409970.html" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.insider-monitor.com/trading/cik1409970.html

rawraw

I personally think we need to be careful on this forum to keep several items separate.  LendingClub the stock investment, LendingClub the platform,and LendingClub notes. A lot of the newer people have trouble understanding how they are different and yet related.  I agree with you about the LendingClub stock.  But dead man walking may be a bit much, I think they probably could be profitable if they just stopped spending as much.  Didn't they say in an email couple years ago they could function just based off of the servicing income if they gutted the place?  At any rate, I think LC is similar to a mortgage broker - and that's not necessarily a very attractive business to invest in.

TravelingPennies

Yeah, I agree this thread is in the wrong place.
Should be in the General Lending Club Discussion Topic. Most of the stock related posts are there.

Hey Zach -- If you happen to see this post would you move the whole thread as above?

And yeah I guess dead man walking was a bit over the top. I'm sure there are plenty of companies with troubles far worse than LC that have come back, survived and done very well.

AnilG

So you have decided that LC notes are not good investment but LC stock is a good investment. Interesting juxtaposition. I wonder what part of LC business you are excited about to put more money into LC stock.

https://forum.lendacademy.com/index.php?topic=4755.msg42565#msg88888888Quote"> from: dr.everett on December 09, 2017, 02:00:40 AM

TravelingPennies

We are blessed to live in interesting times. A cursory but by no means serious look at insider buying and selling (see link above) appears to suggest that the last round of nearly free stock options to corporate management have not been sold after this last downturn into the mid $3's. Not one share. There's even some buying by insiders on the open market, but it's very small money. Seems there is a lot of stock held with a cost basis in the $4.25 range (including the Chinese investor Chen). Not many sellers in the mid $3's, but maybe the $4.25 level will be hard to break on the upside. Anybody want to get out even? The market will tell us in due time.

TravelingPennies

+1. I remember in 2013/2014 when I talked about risk with LC lending, people laughed at me as they were consistently getting 8-10% return for several years and couldn't believe someone will think LC lending is risky. Even on this forum, people were discussing borrowing from other sources to lend on LC. How times have change. I am pretty sure same will happen to the next new shiny investment people are excited about. It is behavioral investing 101. Common-sense is not common enough. For majority, "return" tail seem to wag the dog.

https://forum.lendacademy.com/index.php?topic=4755.msg42578#msg88888888Quote"> from: rawraw on December 09, 2017, 05:24:04 PM

Half Right

"Fundrise has better returns with a lot less effort and risk. Yes the money is stuck for 5 years, but at 10% a year, oh noes... https://forum.lendacademy.com/Smileys/default/grin.gif" alt=";D" title="Grin" class="smiley" />
For me, it was virtually riskless because I could see the late notes before they showed up as late. 
Are you still able to do this?  If so, how?"

Fundrise will gladly take your money. However please note that the Net asset value for the Income Fund is now $9.80 as opposed to $10 when the fund started. A loss of 2% in the past year. Take that off your 10% distribution and you are inline with most other crowdfunded real estate loans. However your liquidity is restricted and comes with a penalty for early withdrawal.
IMHO better deals exist

TravelingPennies

Not to say that the biggest is always the best but i like these 2 the most and they are some of the biggest:

1) Cadre- it doesn't hurt to have the current President as a family member (through marriage and blood). At least you get the Tax Code  changed for your benefit.
2) Lending Home- Although they have become way too aggressive in terms of "Loan to Cost" while attempting to retain some some restraint in terms of "Loan to Value", I think this has been caused as a result of their ENORMOUS growth. IMHO the best fix and flippers use them because of their super quick loan funding which gets the properties completed quickly and out on the market in the shortest time possible. What I most appreciate is that if the borrower is late or in default, they will not waste a second foreclosing and auctioning off the property.

Either way as they say in the Real estate biz Caveat Emptor

NEW LOANS:   | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL