Clicky

• Welcome to P2P Lending / NFT Lending Forum.

ETH.LOAN

News:

This was the original Lend Academy peer-to-peer lending forum, since forensically restored by deBanked and now reintroduced to eth.loan.

To restore access to your user account, email [email protected]. We apologize for errors you may experience during the recovery.

Main Menu
NEW LOANS:   | 870.eth 2.500 Ξ | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL

Started by Peter, October 16, 2017, 11:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2020traders

Just joined.  This is a great website.  Can consideration be given to discussion of Streetshares platform?  I'm quitting Prosper after 6 years and declining ROI.  Experience with Streetshares, six months in, is thus far positive.  Their staff is easily accessible by "chat", email or phone and unlike Prosper, quickly responds with apparent candid, straight forward information.  Their investment process is simple, including their auto investing system available with a Pro Shares account.  While modest, the fixed 5% return on Veteran Bonds is simple, effortless and seemingly worry free. I'll try to follow up at 12 months and on into the future.  I'm hoping Streetshares can provide a conservative investment with modest, but reliable growth and income potential and an option to the stock market.

lascott

Thanks for your input.  Can you explain what you believe the tax implications are with these? It would seem like such a basic thing would be described in your FAQ/site but it wasn't as far as I saw in a search.
FYI, I asked in a chat and they gave me a name and email address. He did follow up and said he would ask about putting the tax forms sent, etc on the FAQ and that the person he provide responds quickly.

TravelingPennies

Afternoon lascott,

Glad to hear you've had a similar experience with inquiries to StreetShares.  Regarding taxes, any profit will be in the form of interest income and treated the same way as net income from Prosper or Lending Club investments ... reported and payable annually.  I do not know of IRA or Roth IRAs being available through StreetShares...at least not yet.  Hope this helps.

TravelingPennies

AnilG

Why would someone buy Veteran Bond at 5% total return when they can invest in High Yield Corporate Bond HYG, JNK with similar yield and instant liquidity and lower risk? Veteran bond is lending to very small businesses smaller than even micro-cap stocks so are potentially much more riskier than bond issuers in HYG, JNK and similar funds and should be yielding much more. The return doesn't justify the associated high risk unless I am missing something.

Peter

Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

Fred93

Streetshares is a TINY STARTUP with no operating history.  They have issued only a tiny number of loans so far.  There is nothing on which one could base an analysis of their underwriting skill.  In short, they are very risky.  Their most recent annual report, which reports thru June 2016, shows only 105 loans in FY2015 and 370 loans in FY2016.  (Lending club has 1.5 million so far.)  Their 2017 report is due soon.

Meanwhile, this table from the annual report shows you among other things what interest rates they charge...  From 12.9% to 27.1%

https://forum.lendacademy.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffred93.com%2Ffbi%2FCapture-streetshares-portfolio.PNG&hash=f0689bcd7a520de50247cb44b69db89b" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

TravelingPennies

I've been invested on both StreetShares platforms for a few months and am happy with the results so far.

I consider the borrowers to be part of the "nano-cap" market, which helps to diversify my portfolio.

I realize the riskiness of these loans and the start-up nature of StreetShares, but the amount of money I've deployed is small.

I categorize these investments as "pilot trading" where I have a small amount of skin in the game to learn how they work.

kuhnrl30

I've only been on StreetShares for a few months and it's been a positive experience as far as returns go.  The only downside I've seen is that with such low loan volumes I have idle cash even with auto invest on.  You either invest in everything that comes out or keep the cash idle. 

TravelingPennies

In follow up to my original posts some months ago re: Streetshares...  As of now, I've continued to invest both in Veteran Bonds and through the Streetshares Pro platform.  The Veteran Bond account provides a conservative, but reasonable return of 5% with withdrawals restricted to a two week anniversary period each year determined by the date the account was opened.  Withdrawals are actually permitted any time of the year, but will be credited with a 4% APR return vs. 5%.  For cash that one does not want to put in more volatile markets, e.g., the stock market, this is far better than the 1.3 or 1.4 percentages paid by even the internet banks.  In eight months of investing with Streetshares I have experienced no delinquencies or charge offs with the "pro" platform.  I now have approximately 70 current loans and approximately 40 have been paid in full.  90%+ of my loans are from the most conservative category, having what Streetshares refers to as low expected loss ratios...usually 2% or less and typically providing a 12-15 percent return. I fully realize these are not yet "seasoned" loans, however, many are very short term, 6 weeks, and supported by documented gov't contracts. Resulting from the availability of these short term, contract backed loans, many borrowers are "repeaters", using Streetshares to assist on a short term basis with cash flows.  Given the "start/stop" nature of investing in these short term loans, cash does sit idle for a few days here and there, but with the use of the auto investing feature and a bit of diligence week to week this can be minimized. On the upside of the "pro" platform, the frequent turnover of short term loans and resulting cash balances allow funds to be available for withdrawal (without any fee) on a regular basis, providing some level of liquidity without penalty.  I've gradually added to both platforms over eight months in 2017. I'll be tracking returns over the full year of 2018 and will try to post occasionally...if anyone is interested https://forum.lendacademy.com/Smileys/default/smiley.gif" alt=":)" title="Smiley" class="smiley" />.  I do believe, at this point, Streetshares can significantly outperform my Prosper investment which has steadily declined to the 6% range with substantially less monitoring and effort in reinvestment of funds (never was a fan of Prosper's auto invest feature).  Streetshares has continued to be consistently prompt in answering any questions submitted through either their live chat feature or email.  This customer service aspect of their business remains in the excellent category for me.  Prosper's customer service and responsive was, in my experience, terrible.  Last, I read a few posts stating that Streetshares had generated only a few hundred loans and was a tiny operation, etc.  I believe, just by viewing the number and size of loans being processed through the website, that it has considerably more business than those characterizations.  I feel comfortable with using Streetshares to diversify my investments, particularly in light the stock market's predicted lackluster future.  I trust our country's small business and Veteran community more than do I large corporations.  Hope to hear from others with their thoughts.  Best wishes for a happy and successful new year.

Peter Somerville

Hi folks,

StreetShares announced this morning (January 24, 3018) that we have completed our Series B funding round, raising $23 million in fresh equity capital.

http://blog.streetshares.com/streetshares-secures-23-million-equity-funding-to-scale-award-winning-fintech-platform-for-the-military-and-veteran-market" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://blog.streetshares.com/streetshares-secures-23-million-equity-funding-to-scale-award-winning-fintech-platform-for-the-military-and-veteran-market

Best regards,
Peter Somerville

Director of Investor Relations
StreetShares

Half Right

What is the current burn rate at StreetShares?

TravelingPennies

NEW LOANS:   | 870.eth 2.500 Ξ | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL