Clicky

• Welcome to P2P Lending / NFT Lending Forum.

ETH.LOAN

News:

This was the original Lend Academy peer-to-peer lending forum, since forensically restored by deBanked and now reintroduced to eth.loan.

To restore access to your user account, email [email protected]. We apologize for errors you may experience during the recovery.

Main Menu
NEW LOANS:   | 870.eth 2.500 Ξ | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL

Started by Peter, January 07, 2017, 11:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob L

Okay, maybe it is; but it sure isn't what I thought it is.

For weighting LC uses the amount invested (i.e $25, %50, etc.) of each note you ever bought (except those sold on Folio). My portfolio has 9379 notes (not including 1347 sold on Folio). So, the weighted average interest rate of any note is (1/total purchase price of all 9379 notes) * note interest rate. The problem is that only 3755 of these are not either fully paid or charged off. For purely historic reasons I may have a passing interest in WAIR as LC computes it, but I'm far more interested in the average interest rate of my active notes. I'm particularly interested in the effect LC's interest rate increases over the past year have had on my active portfolio. So, what I really need is weighting based on the remaining principal value of active notes (see PBWAIR) in the example below. It's what I thought WAIR was all along, but my bad for not looking it up.

My LC computed WAIR is 17.51% but my PBWAIR is 18.49% (computed from notes_ext.csv using Excel).

https://forum.lendacademy.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FkotPe2h.png&hash=6435d7aaace7ca853ebc46806ab57010" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Fred93

Yep.  I had never looked into the details of WAIR calculation, so I'm a little surprised also.

I agree with you.  When we think about our current portfolio, we should be thinking about parameters of our current portfolio, not all of history.

ANAR has this same issue.  It is a calculation over all history, including all your paid off, charged off, etc loans. 

In LC's defense, I would say that WAIR and ANAR are both calculated over all history, so if you were to compare ANAR with something and want a reasonable comparison, then a weighted average interest rate that is averaged over the same history is the right one.  In other words LC's ANAR and WAIR are somewhat compatible with one another.

I prefer a return estimate that is more current than ANAR.  I used to have an ANAR of 10%+, and now I have 8%+, so people tend to think "He's earning 8%+ now" but actually I'm only earning 6%+ right now, which averaged with the old 10%+ gives me 8%+.

When they thought up these measures, I don't think they were thinking about how portfolios would look 10 years later!

For myself, I compute IRR over various time periods.

AnilG

The purpose of portfolio WAIR (interest rate weighted by outstanding balance) along with portfolio duration (remaining term weighted by outstanding principal) is to quickly able to estimate future cash flow from a portfolio of loans and compare different portfolios.

I don't remember specifically reviewing WAIR estimated by LC in detail. My impression from their account details page where they show term distribution etc is that everything displayed on that page is average or sum of all notes in portfolio not just active ones.

fliphusker

I have not sat down and figured out my returns with IRR as Open Office has a different way of figuring it out.  Do others use Open Office, and is there a tutorial that you have to use it for IRR?  I just have not taken the time to learn it.  I do not have a very large account and know that defaults have a large impact on my returns/projected returns.  A straight roller then 3 (2 of same note) quick defaults on FOLIO notes hurt.  As late as I believe October my ANAR on my FOLIO, was negative. 
I said from the beginning I was not going to concern myself too much about my returns until the 1-year mark (3 months to go).  I would be curious to see a monthly breakdown at that time on my progress.
Does everyone figure this with IRR or just look at the monthly ANAR?  Just noticed that ANAR is not listed on statements. 
Rob, how much do you concern yourself with how your returns were over those months when you whittled down your account? 
https://forum.lendacademy.com/index.php?topic=4245.msg39299#msg88888888Quote"> from: Fred93 on January 08, 2017, 06:35:41 PM

TravelingPennies

TravelingPennies

Back to a question I had with my post.  How to calc a monthly return?  Should anyone care about a monthly return?
https://forum.lendacademy.com/index.php?topic=4245.msg39309#msg88888888Quote"> from: Rob L on January 09, 2017, 06:45:08 PM

BruiserB

Monthly return can be calculated by using month start and month end dates and balances as well as any intra-month deposits/withdrawal dates and amounts and use the XIRR function in Excel/Google Sheets.

NEW LOANS:   | 870.eth 2.500 Ξ | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL