Clicky

• Welcome to P2P Lending / NFT Lending Forum.

ETH.LOAN

News:

This was the original Lend Academy peer-to-peer lending forum, since forensically restored by deBanked and now reintroduced to eth.loan.

To restore access to your user account, email [email protected]. We apologize for errors you may experience during the recovery.

Main Menu
NEW LOANS:   | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL

where to invest further

Started by Peter, August 18, 2017, 11:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finopp

Situation: I've been in Prosper and LC since about 2008 and enjoy managing to a profit every year, but I am not trained for anything like stocks and such. About 3 years from retirement. Reasonably confident about our financial situation. Have a financial advisor (stocks, mutual funds stuff) but we don't want to add any more funds to him. (LC and Prosper have been out-performing him for several years.) We'd would like to invest additional money elsewhere.

Present known options:
   Add to our LC and Prosper accounts
   Try diversification into real estate P2P
   Find an additional advisor to handle separate monies
   An Alternative Assets advisor?

Are there other options?
Opinions please?
Thank you

brother7

I'm in both Prosper and LC like you. Like a lot of people, I've experienced declining returns this year, with Q4 2016 XIRR = 2.42%. I'm seeking greener pastures and have my sights on real estate crowdfunding. Under consideration are http://www.peerstreet.com/join?ref=2ysfnc" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PeerStreet and Fundrise. I'm leaning more toward http://www.peerstreet.com/join?ref=2ysfnc" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PeerStreet because of 1) 1st lien position and 2) short 6-24 month loans. If I were in my 20s-40s, I'd consider REITs offered by Fundrise and others. But the lack of liquidity in private REITs probably isn't desirable for older investors, especially if you're close to retirement.

That's my 2 cents. YMMV.

TravelingPennies

Re: "Really that's all there is to it. On #1, how risky must the borrower be if even with collateral he is paying that rate? My advice is the further away from consumer loans you get, the more Sophisticated you'll need to be. It's not rocket science, but it does take some dedication if you aren't from a credit background."

At first, higher rates didn't make sense to me. After reading why the rates are higher than a bank's I found there are several logical reasons. If I understand correctly, one reason is because the loans are more like bridge loans than long-term real estate loans.

Thanks to both respondents. Sounding like what I was thinking, it confirms what I thought might be the situation.

Peter

I'm opening a parking garage for wayward self-driving vehicles that achieve consciousness and then run away from (or over) their owners.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

Fred93

angusreed

Yes you can find an additional adviser to handle separate situations. In real estate, You can choose some of the best locations to invest your additional money. After that you can hire an experienced property adviser for invest your money on that property.http://angusreed.org/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">Real Estate Adviser can helps you in many different situations. Adviser will advice you to invest your additional money on which kind of property.

Skeptical

My wife and I are investing in distressed mortgages. People tend to live longer than they think. This particular investing instrument pays 12% but you must tie your money up for 5 years. I understand if you make it to your 60s, the odds are good that you will make it to your 80s.

This is a small portion of our portfolio. Never bet the family farm.

Good luck on your search.

TravelingPennies

Those are some high dividends.  I'm not familiar with those two, so I don't know enough to have an opinion about sustainability / NAV.

On energy, though - I went in sort of the other direction last year, allocated toward utilities.  Everyone seems to want to plug their car (computer on wheels) into a wall outlet, now, along with their many other (legacy or new technology) electron-sucking devices, so, it seemed like a nice, longterm, defensive (and, at the same time, trend) play.  Think a lot of people thought utils would be hurt by rising interest rates, due correlation (imagined or real) with bonds, but, in reality, it's not working out that way - and keeping phones (and cars?) charged seems to pay. https://forum.lendacademy.com/Smileys/default/smiley.gif" alt=":)" title="Smiley" class="smiley" />

Some really great marketing around all the electric cars - I like how it's all "eco-friendly" when all they're doing is xferring emissions to wherever their local utility company (burns/turns/transmits) the energy to them... Out of sight, out of mind - I suppose.  Ohwell, it's $.

NEW LOANS:   | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL