Clicky

• Welcome to P2P Lending / NFT Lending Forum.

ETH.LOAN

News:

This was the original Lend Academy peer-to-peer lending forum, since forensically restored by deBanked and now reintroduced to eth.loan.

To restore access to your user account, email [email protected]. We apologize for errors you may experience during the recovery.

Main Menu
NEW LOANS:   | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL

Where can I research Prosper past performance data besides NSR

Started by Peter, October 19, 2015, 11:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TWLMG

NSR recently changed their Prosper back testing tool to not return results that have an 'All Matching Loans' count of less than 200. I was still able to do this a week and a half ago, but now I can't. I understand that everyone should have at least 200 notes in their portfolio, which I do, but to now not allow me to see the past performance data if the dataset has less than 200 notes seems a little overboard. I like to do my research my way and NSR telling me that I'm not smart enough to realize an overall count of 100 isn't as valid as 10,000 is keeping me from doing my research. Either return the data per my settings or allow me to pick what the returned data is broken out by. Meaning maybe I don't want the returned data broken out by 'Income Range' or 'Inquiries Last6Months', which it currently does. Maybe I would like to pick other things from the setting options.

TravelingPennies

Here is what I think is an interesting update.

So, if you want to use the NSR website to see how Prosper loans that originated in 2/2014 did, you can do that. Just put in a date range of 2/1/2014 to 2/28/2014 and you’ll get back a count of 4,314. But what if you want to see how HR rated loans, with a Prosper Score of 11, did during that timeframe? You can do that too. Just add those criteria and you’ll get back a count of 0. No loans originated in that timeframe with those criteria. Good to know. Now, let’s remove the Prosper Score criteria and see how HR loans did in 2/2014. Hmmm, we can’t seem to do that. The error message says that we have to have a result set of at least 200 notes before they will show us the data. So we can get back Prosper data on 200+ notes, 0 notes, but we can’t get any metrics on 1 to 199 notes. Not as helpful as one might think, but I may just be strange.

Now for what I feel is the interesting part. Let’s pop over to the Lending Club metrics page on NSR. Put in the same date range and you get back a count of 15,269. Good, as I’d expect. Now add criteria of Grade G and State of WY. You get back a count of 0. No loans originated in that timeframe with those criteria. Again, good, as I’d expect. Now remove the State to see how G loans did in 2/2014. You get back a count of 82. Wait.., isn’t 82 between 1 and 199, the counts that NSR doesn’t show for Prosper??? What’s going on here?

So for Lending Club, NSR users are allowed to do any research they want, without any minimum count restrictions, and work up whatever filters they want. For Prosper, they have to have a dataset of at least 200 to be able to do any research. And this is new since 10/11/2015, a few days ago, the last time I did any Prosper research. I’'m sort of over a barrel here since Prosper doesn’t have any back testing, that page hadn’t worked in a long time and they recently just removed it. And I don’t know of any other website that allows you to do any back testing other than NSR. NSR, if you read this, can you explain why you restrict Prosper users to a 200 note minimum and don’t restrict Lending Club users. And please don’t solve this by restricting Lending Club users. I’m not one, but I don’t want to see others suffer.

Fred93

The fellow responsible for that code at NSR does read this forum, but he might not see your message.  You can send him a private message at the screen name rocco.g

You can also contact them via the email form on their contact page.

Rocco has often been helpful when I've brought up minor bugs and issues.

Brustkern

NSR Invest is committed to providing transparency in p2p lending.  In February 2015 Prosper changed its public reporting policy due to risks to its proprietary intellectual property.  At that point Prosper stopped providing data to NSR for public consumption. In the following months Prosper and NSR engaged in a dialogue looking for a way for Prosper data to be made available to investors without endangering Prosper's IP. We are happy to announce that these discussions resulted in an agreement whereby NSR will resume posting Prosper statistics as long as we mask any queries that result in fewer than 200 loans, among some other constraints.  This agreement was signed in September 2015, and immediately thereafter Prosper data was live again on NSR Platform.

We are delighted to have Prosper data back on the NSR Platform, and applaud the leadership at Prosper for seeing this through. To our knowledge, NSR is the only publicly available platform that provides Prosper data via an institutional grade backtesting tool, free of charge, to its users. We are justifiably honored to have earned this position of trust -- both from Prosper and from you.

We are doing our part to ensure that individual investors, financial advisors and family offices have access to institutional quality tools, including the fastest access to the most granular p2p marketplace data.  If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me personally. My direct line is 720 two five nine 0472 and my email address is bo at nsr invest with the usual ending.

TravelingPennies

Thank you very much for the explanation. Two suggestions to make NSR even better.

1)   When you go through something like this in the future, be transparent. Let the users know that no new data is being supplied by Prosper, with a short explanation as to why. Once the issue is resolved, but with functionality changes, again, let the user know. If I missed the explanation as to why Prosper's data was not being updated on NSR, I apologize. I was getting frustrated when even as late as 10/11/2015, a few days ago, their data end date was still 1/27/2015, as you'll notice from my post http://www.lendacademy.com/forum/index.php?topic=3355.0" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.lendacademy.com/forum/index.php?topic=3355.0. I never saw any explanation on the Prosper Back Testing page to explain why. Also, when the dataset has less than a count of 200, the error message just says 'Less than 200 matching loans'. Nothing to explain why this new impedance has shown up since 10/11/2015, a few days ago. A little explanation goes a long way.

2)   Since there is this new roadblock to doing research, have you considered allowing the user to choose what the data is broken out by? Of all the possible metrics, let the user choose what is included in the results set. Maybe someone doesn't want the 'Listing Term' shown below, but would like the 'Public Records Last12months' included. Or they may not care about the 'Inquiries Last6Months', but would like 'Prosper Score'. Just a suggestion.

TravelingPennies

Thank you for the suggestions, TWLMG. I appreciate your consideration and candor. Regarding (1): excellent point. We added the simple pop-up dialog box during development, and didn't revise it before going live. We'll have a better explainer up shortly, and we'll add a link to https://nsri.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000080402-why-are-prosper-back-testing-results-not-displayed-if-there-are-fewer-than-200-loan-results-" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">this entry in our FAQ.

Regarding (2): This feature is live on NSR Platform. https://nsri.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000080400-how-can-i-customize-the-back-testing-results-breakdowns-or-assumptions-" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">Your question now appears in our FAQ also.

Thank you for your contributions!

Bo

TravelingPennies

Bo,

Wow, thanks for this info. #2 is huge for me. I presume it would be huge for others if they knew. Hopefully anyone that doesn't already know will read your post and become much more efficient in their research.

Thanks again,
TWLMG

NEW LOANS:   | 804.eth 2.500 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | remoraid.eth 0.299 Ξ | ALL